Wadi Helo or ‘Sweet Wadi’ has been nominated for inclusion in the list of Unesco World Heritage sites. With a history going back thousands of years wadi Helo is one of the oldest continuously habited areas in the region. We believe this trek to be one of the most scenic in UAE.
Our trek starts near the entrance to the wadi. We begin with an uphill trek to view the first of the small watchtowers that guarded the verdant wadi below. Our path continues down into the wadi bed where we find numerous terraced fields with their stone retaining walls. Further on we reach the most impressive ruins at the centre of the ancient village. A pre-Islamic tomb, watchtower, graveyards, mosque, wells and many small houses can be found on either side of the natural water course. The most impressive of all is the house of Eissa Al Thabbahi, built around 1900, it contains many rooms and a staircase that led up to a tower. Remnants of intricate plasterwork can still be seen on the walls of this important site.
We continue our trek up to our next watchtower to the west of the wadi. Once at the top you’ll enjoy spectacular views of the surrounding mountains and farms and down to the old village below. A second small watchtower can be reached by following a ridgeline before the descent back to the wadi below.
Difficulty 2 - Beginner/Moderate
Pick up & drop off conditions
LOCAL CUSTOMS and General CONDITIONS
- Our dispatch is done daily , and depending on the different pickups we have to do and the routing , our operation department will pick you between 90 mn to 120 mn from tour departure time .
- The vehicle would arrive at anytime in between the said timings, unless due to any unavoidable circumstances such as traffic conditions, mishap or in case of any other delay
- The vehicle would wait at the maximum for 5 minutes for the guest, so as the other guests at the next pick up location are not delayed
- We encourage you to give us the local contact, email or mobile as our customer service duty is to reconfirm and give accurate information.
- Clients that booked less than 12h a tour , will not be provided PICK up , but can join the tours on the departure point
- For clients in SHARJAH , JEBEL ALI or AJMAN hotels : we charge a supplement of 15$ pp for pick up.
- Smoking is prohibited in all our vehicles
- Before Photographing any local residents, kindly ask their permission
- Photographing local ladies is not permitted
- Schedules are likely to change during the Holy Month of Ramadan. Please contact our representative for updates
- Ladies visiting the Mosque are required to cover their head with scarf and do not wear shorts, beachwear or sleeveless outfits as they are to be fully covered
- Men visiting the Mosque should wear long trousers